Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQs for the City of Toronto

This website provides answers for a wide range of information including questions such as:

 Use 311 to find out more about City services.

Phone outside city limits:416-392-CITY (2489)
TTY customers: 416-338-0889
Fax: 416-338-0685


Q: How do I get a parking permit?
A: Residential parking permit applications are available online. Permit holders may park their vehicles overnight and are exempt from hour parking restrictions. Off street parking permits (parking pads) are required if you wish to park on part of the City boulevard.

Q: Is my house’s front-yard parking pad legal?
A: Before you buy a property, you may wish to ensure that any existing front yard parking facility is properly licensed. Be aware: the license does not follow the property. A new property owner will need to apply to have the license agreement transferred. Please also note that disabled front yard parking licenses are not transferable to a new property owner. Click here to find licensed properties.

Q: How do I get a front-yard parking pad?
A:  If you have questions about a particular address, contact Ward 32’s District office at Transportation Services, East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell Avenue, Tel: 416-392-7768, Email: You will be required to submit an application including:

  • a non-refundable application fee of $375.18 or a non-refundable transfer fee (change in property ownership for licensed locations) of $120.75
  • A detailed landscape proposal, drawn to scale and scale noted on plans, that shows all relevant dimensions, all highway  names and municipal addresses, physical details such as utilities, sidewalks, walkways, trees and their dimensions (including distance of trees from other objects), fences, retaining walls, etc., north arrow, property lines and location of proposed front yard parking pad (more detailed drawings may be required if your proposal involves major landscaping); If application is for transfer of parking privileges, a landscape proposal is not required
  • Copy of motor vehicle registration (no trucks, closed vans, campers or other oversize vehicles are permitted);
  • Copy of property deed or survey.

More information can be found at the City’s Transportation web page, including the application form.

Q: Can I widen or pave my driveway to create extra parking?
A: The City has a by-law that permits your driveway to be as wide as your garage. You will receive a Notice if Municipal Licensing and Standards staff find evidence of violation.


Q: What can I do about a noisy neighbour?
A: According to Chapter 591 of the Municipal Code, loud noise of any kind is prohibited (eg. loud radios, construction noise). If you are unable to resolve the matter by talking with your neighbour, contact our office. If you wish to file a noise complaint, please call 311 to submit a service request. In order to investigate any complaint, it is helpful if Municipal Licensing & Standards (ML&S) has the actual street address that the noise is coming from. The City may then send the occupants of the property owner a Notice advising them of the by-law and requesting their compliance. Noise caused by people due to parties or yelling is best dealt with by the police at the time they are occurring. 

Q: My neighbour doesn’t maintain the property, what can I do?
A: All properties must meet minimum standards for safety and cleanliness subject to Chapter 629 of the Municipal Code. This by-law is enforced by Investigation Services, Municipal Licensing & Standards. If a homeowner does not properly maintain the property, the City will send a Property Standards Investigator to the home to document infractions and request necessary repairs by a set date.

Q: My neighbour says I need a permit to build a fence?
A: In general, you don’t require a permit to build a fence unless it is for a swimming pool. However, some restrictions do apply so check before you build or view the fence bylaw online. To help resolve any disputes between property owners, the City of Toronto has established an impartial arbitration process under the Provincial Line Fences Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter L.17. You can find more information or download an application for fence viewers on the City’s Line Fence web page. Infractions of the fence bylaw can be reported to Investigation Services, Municipal Licensing & Standards.

Q: Where should I direct a complaint/concern about a neighbour’s animal?
A: Contact your local Animal Services Centre or call 416-338-PAWS (7297).


Q: What animals am I permitted to keep?
A: Article II of Chapter 349-2 of the Municipal Code describes which animals are prohibited in the City of Toronto. You can find out about chickens, pigeons, exotic animals and more. Chapter 349-2 of the Municipal Code provides the entire bylaw regarding the keeping of animals.

Q: Where can I find a list of leash-free areas for dogs in Toronto?
A: Toronto Parks, Forestry & Recreation provides a listing of approved off-leash areas.

Q: There is an injured/dead animal on my property or the street. Who do I contact?
A: Contact Animal Services or call 416-338-PAWS (7297). This applies for both pets and wild animals.


Q: Do I need a permit to cut down a tree on my property?
A: You may require a permit prior to cutting down a tree on your property. Contact Urban Forestry at 416-338-TREE (8733) for information on Toronto’s tree by-laws.

Q: Do I need permission to cut down a tree on my property?
A: Trees on private property having a diameter of 30 cm or greater at 1.4 metres above ground level are subject to protection under City of Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 813, Trees, Article III. It is unlawful to injure or destroy such trees without first obtaining a permit from Urban Forestry to do so; there are certain exemptions under each by-law. Learn more at

Home Renovations

Q: Do I need a permit to build or renovate a house, deck, garage, shed or driveway?
A: Most projects will require a visit to your area Building Permit section – with plans and drawings. A “Fastrack” system is in place for certain smaller or simpler projects. Find out if you are required to get a building permit for your next project, before you start.

Q: I am planning to dig on my property; how do I find out if there are any utility services buried underground?
A: Ontario One Call has a “Call Before you Dig” information line. It’s a free service for homeowners and excavators. Call 1-800-400-2255 or visit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>